Planning your will
When you are thinking about making a Will, there are certain things you may wish to consider:
1. Would you like to appoint a friend or family member as a Guardian for your young children?
2. Who would you like to choose to be your Executors and Trustees? (These are the people who will carry out the wishes you express in your Will.)
3. Do you have any specific funeral wishes that you would like to include?
If you have wishes for medical donation, please register these with the NHS Organ Donor Register and you could do this via Save 5
4. It may be useful to list your possessions, such as your home, bank accounts etc.
- Do you know roughly how much they are worth?
- Are they subject to a mortgage?
- Are they owned by you alone or in the joint names of you and your partner or spouse?
- Special provision may need to be made if you run a business or own property abroad.
“You may wish to include a charitable donation in your Will. These have the benefit of not being subject to Inheritance Tax.”
5. Who would you like your possessions to go to when you die? Do you have the full names and addresses of the people you wish to give them to? Does anyone need their inheritance "protecting", perhaps by using a Trust to help look after it for them?
6. You may wish to include a charitable donation in your Will. These have the benefit of not being subject to Inheritance Tax. You may already have a charity of particular importance and relevance to you & you can choose any charity you wish, as we are happy to find out the required information for you, such as their charity number, but here are a few national and local charities that you may wish to consider:
Cambridgeshire Community Foundation
They are the hub for community philanthropy in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough - inspiring and supporting effective giving that strengthens communities and enriches local life.
Addenbrooke's Charitable Trust
The Addenbrooke's Charitable Trust is an independent registered charity briefed to raise additional money to benefit patients attending Addenbrooke's Hospital Cambridge and funds can be designated for specific areas of the Hospital's work, such as research into Cancer.
Oxfam is a development, relief and campaigning organisation that works with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering around the world.
Widows for Peace through Democracy
WPD works for the empowerment of widows and the elimination of the discrimination and violence that many millions of them experience daily.
Fledglings is a Charity based near Saffron Walden which helps parents and carers of a child with special needs to find simple, affordable solutions to practical problems. They offer a free product search service to locate toys, clothing, developmental aids and other items which may stimulate the child's development or give relief to the carer.